Watch the August 2016 Winning Short Story Reading.
Reading Performed by actor Becky Shrimpton
DAY OF WHY by Stephen Karnaghan
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
Weekends for a lot of people are lonely. They may not speak to anyone for two days. So what happens when someone speaks to a lonely person?
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The film that I watch often is Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance with a score by Philip Glass.
5. How long have you been working on this story?
I had written this story several years ago and was not happy with it. When I became interested in only expressing the theme I was able to get rid of all the redundancy.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Murphy by Samuel Beckett
7. What motivated you to write this story?
I wanted to express how loneliness is one of the most difficult problems to overcome.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I am passionate about composing music, music that is beyond entertainment, but music that people use emotionally.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
Literature in the 21st Century does not need the description and atmospheric words as writing from the past. People now are more visual, we are bombarded with visual stimulus all day. I am trying to write for those that add in the visuals if they are necessary.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Producer/Director: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting: Sean Ballantyne