Watch the August 2016 Winning Short Story Reading.
Reading Performed by actor Geoff Mays
The Storm by Buffy Sammons
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
Really life as I see it and why I feel my family’s and now my own devise are somehow a form of divine intervention and has distanced me from getting to close to others anymore.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
I would say It’s definitely a twist on prose with a science fiction/ autobiography possibility
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Older movies, comedies, action adventure, and some Science fiction…
5. How long have you been working on this story?
I just wrote it in the middle of the night one night and after reading it to a few people still close to me and I got such a reaction it always helps me to know that a story or poem gets a reaction. Thats my true passion and I want others to see and feel what I do in my head
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Chasers of the light, poems from the Typewriter series by Tylers Knott Gregson is something I can listen too over and over again. Its a must read on my list..
7. What motivated you to write this story?
Loss in my life and commonality of all of our fascination with the storm..
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
All of them!! And in Hawaii of course Is that asking for too much!!!! I’m a 44 year old nurse diagnosed very late with numerous cancers. I often just shoot for the moon and go from there! Lol
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
poetry, art, paying it forward trying to start something called #Artfromtheheart which is about giving art supplies of all kinds to cancer centers, woman and children’s centers, and anyone with a disability that keeps them down. Art and writing saved my life.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
Its such a great site that helps amateur writers like me grow through critiques and exposure..
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Write from your heart and deep down from your gut. I write dark, light, and whatever I FEEL at that moment in my day. Don’t be afraid to say what is in your head and put it on paper or paint or any medium! The experience has really opened my eyes and Im grateful for it..
Producer/Director: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting: Sean Ballantyne