Performed by Val Cole
Author Website: http://www.stevie-turner-author.co.uk
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your short story about?
This short story is part of a novel to be published in July. It tells the tale of Gerrie Hermann, an 20 year old aspiring rock musician from South Africa, and Sophie Woods, a penniless naïve student from Manchester, England. Gerrie is from a rich diamond-merchant family and wants UK citizenship to further his musical career. He offers 19 year old Sophie 30,000 pounds if she would marry him. Sophie accepts the deal and both are prepared to go their separate ways after the wedding, but fall in love instead. Gerrie’s parents are furious with him and cut off his allowance. Sophie becomes pregnant, gives up her student place at University, and takes part time work in a supermarket to make ends meet.
When Gerrie’s band has the chance to support a famous rockstar, they have to find forty thousand pounds to fund their part of the tour. Gerrie has a plan, but the consequences of this plan are more far reaching for the couple than they ever would have thought, and unbeknown to them will affect both of them for the rest of their lives.
2. What genres would you say this story is in?
I would say Drama and Family Relationships primarily.
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Out of Africa.
5. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Stairway to Heaven, by Led Zeppelin.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
The Go-Between, by L.P Hartley.
7. What motivated you to write this story?
A guy I used to know wanted to stay in the UK and married an English girl. They are still together after 15 years, and so I think they fell in love!
8. If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would that be?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
10. What influenced you to enter your story to get performed?
An unusual promotional opportunity.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
A one or two star review is just one person’s opinion of your work. Don’t let it affect you too much, as there are many others who will give it five stars.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: Kimberly Villarruel
Camera Operator: Mary Cox