Watch the June 2016 Winning Short Story
Mama’s Purfect Day by Richard Marra
Story performed by Marsha Mason
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
The story is about a cat, Mama, who is taken out of her comfort zone and has to learn how to have fun on her own.
Through her day alone, she finds out she doesn’t always need people around and could find activities that make her happy.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
“Blue Velvet” David Lynch
5. How long have you been working on this story?
This story came to me pretty fast and I wrote it in a day. The tough part is editing and figuring out which parts you should leave and cut.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Kurt Vonnegut “Slaughterhouse-Five”
7. What motivated you to write this story?
My sister had just had her first kid and I wanted to write a story for her.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
David Lynch, in a heartbeat.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I love directing and editing films.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
I felt like it was a cute story that needed to be introduced to people and to show kids that they could have fun on their own, just like Mama.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Just write. The hardest part of writing is never putting the pen to the paper. Whatever it is; fragmented sentences, ideas or an actual full story, just write.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson