Watch the June 2016 winning short story.
INSIDE OUT by Phaedra Greenwood
Performed by Marsha Mason
Get to know writer Phaedra Greenwood:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
My one-page short story is about a man who has his prayers answered. But not the way he expected.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
The genre is flash fiction and humor.
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
I would describe this story as “dark humor.”
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The movie I’ve seen the most in my life is “Groundhog Day.” Deja vu!
5. How long have you been working on this story?
I wrote this story in one sitting, in about half an hour. I shortened it up for your contest, which took about five minutes.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
I love Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell, his vivid, creative use of language.
7. What motivated you to write this story?
I was assigned to write a short story in dialogue for a creative writing class at Duke University.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
I would love to have dinner (or take a road trip) with the journalist and novelist Michael Ventura.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Apart from writing, I am passionate about nature, water and photography. Combining all three is my political statement and spiritual mission to help save this beautiful endangered planet
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
Well, dang me if your contest didn’t just pop up on my screen when I was online. I thought, Well, why not? I have short stories that have never been out of the file. Maybe it’s a sign. And it would be such a kick to see it performed.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Advice to fellow writers: It’s good to get your work out there any way you can, make yourself visible, communicate. Meet a deadline. As a creative writing teacher of 20 years, I know everyone has a story to tell. So tell it!