Watch the May 2016 Winning Novel Transcript Reading.
Watch Water for Blood:
Transcript reading performed by actor Sean Kaufman
Get to know writer Brett Bacon:
1. What is your novel about?
In “Water for Blood,” when a young woman escapes from an oppressive cult that is a front for a covert, international business trading in government secrets, the NSA-trained cult leader will stop at nothing to silence her.
2. Why should this novel be read by people?
“Water for Blood” is a contemporary, fast-paced thriller about a strong, young woman fighting against overwhelming odds.
3. How would you describe this novel in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
In terms of action movies, “Heat” with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro is one of my favorites.
5. How long have you been working on this novel?
About a year.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
In terms of thrillers, it is “Eye of the Needle” by Ken Follett. Follett is a master at keeping the reader in suspense throughout the story.
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
I wanted to tell a story about a strong woman who overcomes incredible obstacles to be free and independent.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
No question it would be Mark Twain-not only because he was a brilliant writer, but also because he had an incredible sense of humor.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
My family, reading, fly-fishing, and travel.
10. What influenced you to enter the Novel Festival?
I appreciate the great feedback that I get from the judges.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
I find this quote by one of my favorite poets, Robert Service, to be helpful:
“There’s nothing gained by whining, and you’re not made of that kind of stuff;
You’re a fighter from away back, and you won’t take a rebuff;
Your trouble is that you don’t know when you have had enough;
Don’t give in.”