Watch the May 2016 Winning Short Story Reading.
This Pond is too Crowded by Stacey R. Janik
Performed by actor Becky Shrimpton
Get to know writer Stacey R. Janik:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
“This Pond’s too Crowded” is about dating in a small community and how all to often your paths cross unintentionally. One must be careful what they say until they know who they are talking to and if you have any mutual friends.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
That’s a tough question because I’m a huge movie buff, I would probably say Love Actually though.
5. How long have you been working on this story?
This story is a work in progress since each date I go on seems to roll into yet another funny story.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
I really enjoyed and couldn’t put “Where the Heart Is” down. I also enjoyed Billie Letts other novel “The Honk and Holler Opening Soon.”
7. What motivated you to write this story?
When I go on dates that turn out like this one did I walk away laughing and shaking my head. It’s too funny and crazy not to share!
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
I choose musical artist Sam Smith. His album The Lonely Hour was such an inspiration for my first novel that has yet to be published. He is so talented and I would love it if he read my book.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I have twin daughters that are my passion. I strive to raise them to be caring, productive citizens. I also like to nurture their creativity as much as possible. This past year I started creative artistic pieces using items that we find at the beach.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
My very good friend Eddie encouraged me to enter this contest and I can’t thank him enough for always believing in me. He’s one of my biggest cheerleaders.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
My advice might sound cliche but write what you know and write from your heart and never let anyone tell you you can’t do something.