Watch the August 2016 Winning Short Story Reading.
Reading Performed by actor Becky Shrimpton
ALL LIVES MATTER! by Ruth Andrews Garnes
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
This piece is about the times we are living in and the senseless loss of lives. There’ve been lost of cops and citizens lives. This piece was a part of a piece I wrote called “Dr. King’s Dream” I added to it after the killings in Dallas but the original piece remains as was written in my poetry collection called “The Cry of our Children.”
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
I would say this piece was written as a tragic historical event.
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
5. How long have you been working on this story?
This was originally written in 2015, at the point when 24 black men had been shot by police. I added to it after the Dallas incident. I felt that needed to be noted. It was as unjust for those to lose their lives because of their profession, in the same manner that it is unjust to be shot or be labelled a thug because of skin color or size or some arbitrary reason.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
My favorite novel is Francine Rivers: Redeeming Love.
7. What motivated you to write this story?
.I believe that expressive words lingers and get heard, and being a mother of two sons, any who were killed could have been mine. I wanted to give tribute to these because no matter who they were and their mothers are their lives mattered.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
I would like to have dinner with Oprah Winfrey.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
My family and the theatre.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
.It was an opportunity to show case my writings.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Writing is a very competitive field but persistence is the key to success in most endeavors.
Producer/Director: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting: Sean Ballantyne