Watch the July 2016 Winning Short Screenplay Reading.
Story performed by actor Val Cole
THE OCEAN AND THE SKY by Rose Mendonca
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
The Ocean and the Sky is my personal recounting of when I was raped in 2012.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
non-fiction, trauma, rape, rape culture
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The Wizard of Oz
5. How long have you been working on this story?
My rape happened in 2012 and I wrote The Ocean and the Sky about a week later, but I didn’t publish the story until now.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
White Oleander by Janet Fitch
7. What motivated you to write this story?
Reading and hearing people (women and men) who tell their rape stories, and then nothing happens or very little happens in response. I feel it is my duty to speak out now, if nothing else, to support those who already have. To say, “You are not alone.” Also, the fact I am in the company of so many others says there is something very wrong with how rape is addressed in our society and we need to change that. We need to change the culture.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
I was asked if I’d be interested, and I’m honored.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Write what is real to you. Nothing else is worth it.