Watch the June 2016 winning short story.
CULT FAN by Gina Lee Ronhovde
Performed by actor Marsha Mason
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
The thoughts going through a girl’s head in the 60-second countdown before she turns 18 and runs away from home.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Either Mulholland Drive or The Great Muppet Caper.
5. How long have you been working on this story?
All the time in my head for a year now. It’s actually based on a screenplay I’m writing. When I saw this contest, I wrote this prose version one afternoon based off the first page of the screenplay.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
7. What motivated you to write this story?
From personal experience where life is stranger than fiction and writes itself.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
The first answer that popped into my head was Prince, as I’ve thought more about him since he died than I ever did when he was alive.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Observing human beings.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
Just a general excitement over my story.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Write what’s in your gut and pay attention to your visions.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne