Watch the May 2016 Winning Short Story Reading.
THROWING KIDS by Erik Linthorst
Performed by actor Becky Shrimpton
Get to know writer Erik Linthorst:
1. What is your 1pg Short Story about?
It’s about a memorable encounter between a teacher and a student in 6th grade.
2. What genres would you say this short story is in?
Dunno, to be honest. I guess creative non-fiction?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The Princess Bride
5. How long have you been working on this story?
I wrote it quickly, in an afternoon.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Life of Pi
7. What motivated you to write this story?
I was just trying to find my voice as a writer, and would write a new piece every day. Some of them were poems, some were nonsense, and one was this.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
Annie Dillard. Stephen Spielberg. Or, you know, Michael Angelo…
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Filmmaking. Advocating on behalf of children with special needs.
10. What influenced you to enter the 1pg. Short Story contest?
On a whim.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Write every day. Remember why you first wanted to be a writer. Write from the gut.