Watch Novel Festival Transcript Reading.
ONE HOT SUMMER, Chapter 21 Reading:
Read by actress Val Cole
Get to know writer Ian Barker:
1. What is your novel about?
It’s a coming of age story, set in the mid-1970s in a small town in northern England during one of the hottest summers on record.
2. Why should this novel be read by people?
The ’70s can in some ways now seem more distant than the Victorian era. It was a very different time from today – no mobile phones, no internet – and yet in some ways quite modern. I hope the book gives a flavour of the era but it also holds some universal truths about life and growing up.
3. How would you describe this novel in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The Italian Job (1969 version)
5. How long have you been working on this novel?
I started it a long time ago then shelved it while I wrote another book, probably four or five years in total.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Ouch, that’s like choosing a favorite child! probably John LeCarre’s ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’.
7. What motivated you to write this novel?
It’s set in the era I grew up, although it’s not really autobiographical, I suppose I wanted to capture something of the time. Plus of course the old advice to novelists, ‘write what you know’.
8. What artist would you love to have dinner with?
Picasso, because he seemed to see the world in such a different way to everyone else.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
10. What influenced you to enter the Novel Festival?
It seemed like a good way of gaining extra exposure for the book.
* * * * *
1st CHAPTER and FULL NOVEL FESTIVAL
Submit and SAVE $50 on Full Novel Submissions.