February 2016 Novel Winner
Watch the transcript of WHO KILLED HONOR BRIGHT:
Get to know writer Patricia Hughes:
- What is your novel about?
The murder of Honor Bright at the behest of George, William Butler Yeats’s wife. Honor’s real name was Lily O’Neill. She was Yeats’s lover and had had his first son.
- Why should this novel be read by people?
Because this murder was carried out by the Irish Free State’s corrupt Minister of Justice and his recently established Garda Siochana, who organised a kangaroo court, silenced witnesses with fear of death, and produced false evidence to sway the jury to acquit the assassins.
- How would you describe this novel in two words?
- What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- How long have you been working on this novel?
For five years, or ten if you count from when I discovered the facts about Honor Bright.
- Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Yes, ‘Jane Eyre’ by Charlotte Brontë.
- What motivated you to write this novel?
Honor Bright was my grandmother and William Butler Yeats was my grandfather. My father was their illegitimate son. At the moment Yeats scholars do not acknowledge this because they fear the reaction of the Irish government. Nevertheless it’s still true.
- What artist would you love to have dinner with?
- Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I love languages, poetry, people, history and politics.
- What influenced you to enter the Novel Festival?
I wanted to make a film and show it to the world. I had a story to tell.
- Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Yes. Keep at it, despite the failures. Never give up until you have reached your goal.
Producer/Director: Matthew Toffolo
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
1st CHAPTER and FULL NOVEL FESTIVAL: https://novelwritingfestival.com/